- My story
- Leadership and Resourcefulness
- Software Engineering
- Product Design
- Patents and books
My story #
I’ve brought products to life from a glimmer of a vision to a team building it, to having customers, and eventually seeing the product come to an end. I’ve worked as part of large and small teams and led them to make impossible things possible.
I have over 20 years of leadership:
- 12 years in software engineering.
- 8 years in design and product management experience.
As a multifaceted engineer, designer, and communicator, I’ve focused on creating, designing, building, and collaborating with people to bring amazing user experiences to life across multiple platforms.
- Coding in Kotlin, TypeScript, React, WASM, WASI, CLI, GUI, Rust, Node.js, Java.
- Currently working on developer tools (Android Studio IDE) coding in Kotlin & Java.
- Was principal SWE, founder, and CEO of a startup (TRNQL) in 2015.
- Raised 1.5M in venture funding.
- Successfully built and launched developer-facing SDKs for Android & iOS.
- Created & led teams that served many users & developers on Android & iOS.
- Currently create content for prominent developer tutorial site developerlife.com (est 1998).
Leadership and Resourcefulness #
Was founder and CEO of TRNQL Inc, a startup to build SDKs for iOS and Android in 2014
Raised $1.5M of VC funding
Recruited and managed team of 6 people
Created and shipped SDKs that collects valuable signals from Android and iOS devices that fed ML to better understand human behavior
Software Engineering #
Experienced in building mobile apps and SDKs, web apps and APIs, IDEs, and web services
Mobile app development toolkits & infrastructure #
Created Android app development container and SDK (built on top of Android framework to expose contextual awareness to any app for TRNQL)
Created BlackBerry app development container (with custom UI toolkits, animation libraries, networking, and app lifecycle management)
Created Java desktop app development containers (with custom UI toolkits, animation libraries, networking, and app lifecycle management) for Rich Internet Applications
Cloud Infrastructure #
Created a cross platform PaaS service in Java, built on top of Tomcat, similar to Google App Engine that powered ScreamingToaster BlackBerry apps (from 2006 to 2011. and then became the server backend for TRNQL SDK offering (from 2015-2016)
This server supported web, iOS, Android, BlackBerry clients
It also supported payments integration and issuing app licenses and managing app subscriptions
Cross platform development toolkits & infrastructure #
- Created Web app development containers to integrate seamlessly with cloud infrastructure and a multitude of mobile clients (Android, BlackBerry, iOS) from 2009 to 2011
Android apps #
Apps I’ve published to the Play Store:
BlackBerry Apps #
I was a finalist twice in the Global BlackBerry Developer Conference in 2009 and 2010 for best app in the world (Wicked blogging app, and RainOrShine weather app)
I published 4 apps that were used by 100’s of thousands of users globally from 2006 to 2011
- Wicked blogging app for BlackBerry
- MyListy list app for BlackBerry and Web
- DulyNoted note taking app for BlackBerry and Web
- RainOrShine weather app for BlackBerry (was top 5 weather apps in BlackBerry App World for a while) and was featured in the App World
Middleware infrastructure for mobile #
Created underlying technology to enable servers to integrate with multiple client platforms using low level sockets communications, custom binary data transmission protocols, complete custom app servers, and even custom mobile app UI markup languages from 1999 to 2004
Created high performance application data network infrastructure to deliver push updates from server to client, and a whole host of other innovations (see patent)
Product Design #
UX Design for Developers YouTube show for Google Android with over 200k views bit.ly/uxdplaylist
Udacity class on UX Design for Mobile reaching over 200k people online bit.ly/uxdclass
G+ UX design community 8k designers & developers bit.ly/uxdcommunity
UX design with contextual information podcast
I’ve led the creation of developer narratives and scaled them out at Google, eg: I created the first design workshops for developers at IO13 & IO14. I’ve founded and presented at the Design for Humans (in real life) meetup. I’ve created the UX Design for Mobile class on Udacity, and my own UX Design show on YouTube both for Google. I also run and create content for a very prominent developer tutorial site called developerlife.com (which was established in 1998).
Created developerlife.com tutorials on Android, Kotlin, React, Redux, and React Native, that has been around since ‘98 and has over 10M pageviews
Created & ran UX Design experiential workshops for developers at Google IO13 and IO14 hosting over 2k attendees – bit.ly/2o3oAni
Founded and grew Design for Humans meetup group to 2k members for UX design. I’ve presented at over 34 meetups, and over 4k developer & designer attendees – bit.ly/uxdmeetup